Silver Duke of Edinburgh
The Silver Duke of Edinburgh's Award is a highly valued nationally recognized qualification that encourages young people to participate in a programme of practical, cultural and adventurous activities. It develops core skills such as confidence, teamwork, communication and organization. It has three levels, Bronze, Silver and Gold, and for each of these a student must complete four separate sections: Volunteering, Skill, Physical Recreation and Expedition.
Toot Hill College students join the Silver Award scheme in September of Year 12 (lower sixth). Practical lessons take place on Wednesday afternoons. After initially organizing volunteering, skill and physical recreation activities, the focus shifts onto the core topics of camp craft, expedition planning and survival skills for when in the field. During the spring and summer of Year 12, students take part in three expeditions:
- Expedition 1: The first is local to Bingham and takes two days (one night) to complete
- Expedition 2: The second is in the White Peak area of the Peak District and takes 2 days (2 nights) to complete
- Assessment Expedition: The third and final expedition is your assessment and takes three full days (2 nights) to complete.
Whilst on expedition, students work together in teams of between 4 and 7 participants, sharing kit and supporting one another throughout. During the year, students collect evidence to demonstrate that they have completed their volunteering, skill and physical activities. They then upload the evidence to the DoE website (eDoE) ready for final accreditation in July (end of Year 12).
The Duke of Edinburgh Award is an invaluable enrichment activity for Toot Hill College students. Whether applying for university, apprenticeships or employment, the DoE Award adds crucial value to a student’s application.
For further information please contact Mr Tinsley.
- Web: www.dofe.org
- Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxU6zhmb8Bs
- Download: DoE Expedition Kit List
- Download: Expedition Dates and Info Letter 2015-2016
- College Maths Success!
All students achieved a Gold, Silver or Bronze award (Whole College - 20/11/2019)
- Another year of great A-Level results
A-Level results day 2019 (Whole College - 15/08/2019)
- Results Day
Thursday 15th August 2019 (Whole College - 17/07/2019)
- Mentor Period Changes
Our Year 13 mentor period will be changing in structure and format (Whole College - 21/03/2019)
- Applications for September 2019
You can now book an interview time slot (Whole College - 17/12/2018)